3 Gifts for Jesus

Last year we started a tradition and we really enjoyed it. I did not come up with this idea on my own, I admit, I was inspired by one of my favorite bloggers at Live Renewed. Her post is here.


 We decided to follow the tradition of limiting our Christmas gifts to our children. 3 gifts- that's it. It's based on the example from the Bible where Jesus receives 3 gifts from the magi who visit his birth.

Gold   This is the gift. The one that the receiver was hoping and praying for. The one on top of the list. The one that wow's them.
 
Frankincense   This is a gift that will inspire them spiritually. It can be a Bible, a devotional, a book, or my husband's favorite- worship music.

Myrrh  This is a gift for the body. Something to wear, eat, bathe in. Make up, lotions, candy, pajamas, socks or shoes.

In our highly marketable world, where Christmas is THE holiday to spend money, we  will try to use restraint. We may fail, but the pursuit of self control  (a fruit of the Spirit) is more valuable than the pursuit of more stuff. If 3 gifts were good enough for Jesus, then it is plenty good enough for my kids.

No comments: