Christmas Is For Kids

In our house, Christmas is a really fun time. My kids like the lights hanging on the outside of people's houses in the neighborhood. They like the cookies, and the packages that arrive in the mail because all of our extended family lives out of state. They like hiding things in my stocking hanging on the window as presents to open on the big day. Kids like to be involved and in fact, Jesus told us to involve them.

 One day children were brought to Jesus in hope that he would lay hands on them and pray over them. The disciples shooed them off. But Jesus intervened: "Let the children alone, don't prevent them from coming to me. God's kingdom is made up of people like these." After laying hands on them, he left.
Matthew 19:13-15 Msg 

So this year, I'm going to try to involve my children more in the Christmas season. Preparations are for children. Holiday decorating is for children. Wrapping gifts and baking is for children. Engaging our hearts in the expectation of Jesus is also for children.


This nativity set is one of my kids' favorites. They were so excited to open it and play with all the people. It's kid friendly, but probably not kid proof. (We haven't had a broken piece yet?) I decided this year, Christmas is for kids! Play, play, play!
 This little tic-tac-toe game is also fun for them. We're learning how to be a good sport when we loose. Decorating the Christmas tree is also for kids. We try to quiet our critical comments while their hanging ornaments so that they enjoy the process and don't want away discouraged that they messed up the perfect tree.

My prayer this Christmas season, is that my heart would become more like my children's. That I would follow Jesus and that I would be one of those that God's kingdom is made up of.




 For more information on this nativity set, visit markethaiti




No comments: