Psalm 63:1

For the past 15 weeks my kids have been memorizing scripture. It's a new verse every week and as a reward they earn a dollar.  Yes, paying children to learn the Bible might be controversial in your opinion, but it works at our house, and the fact that they have the WORD hidden in their hearts is far more valuable to me than the $15.00 they have earned. Memorization is a lost art isn't it?

 This is the verse for this week and as we were talking it through my daughter made a comment that really made an impression on my heart. She asked why we earnestly search for God. My logical answer is because we want to find Him. But she was revealing something about her relationship with the Father that was so precious to me. She told me that we don't need to search for Him because He is always with us, "walking with us and in our hearts" were her exact words. Wow, that blessed my heart.

This Psalm was written by David while he was in the wilderness of Judah speaking about his desire for God's presence, provision and protection. Obviously David had felt from time to time that he had somehow lost God and needed a reunion of the soul. He felt far from God. My daughter isn't familiar with this feeling of being far from God, and for that I am thankful. Every now and then, I remind my kids on the way to school in the morning that Jesus goes with them. As a parent I can only smile at the fact that this truth has sunk in! So as you go about your day today, try to remind yourself of the lyrics in the old hymn,

In The Garden

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

No comments: